





What an amazing weekend we had! Both sets of Grandparents flew in for Emma’s baptism. Where do I begin. I think I will begin by thanking all those who helped us SO much in getting things ready. I had not even attended a baptism in MANY years (probably since my mission), so I forgot how much work and planning go into preparing everything for a baptism. We had so many ward members help with the preparations. We were very overwhelmed by the love and support that was shown to us. The primary room was filled with people and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. We will remember it for a very long time. The Grandma’s gave very good talks (Grandma Eagar also directed the music and the children’s choir that sang), Grandpa Eagar was a witness and gave the closing prayer, and Grandpa Eccles was the photographer, and a great support. There was a wonderful Spirit at the baptism and we feel very thankful to have been able to have such a great experience.
It was VERY cold over the weekend and about 6” of snow fell over Friday and Saturday. I will never forget pulling into the church parking lot and seeing the Maier family shoveling the walks and brother Maier running the snow thrower. This is just one example of the many acts of service on our behalf. Our home teacher brother Miles is severely limited due to many neurological problems in his legs and previous brain tumors. He is a huge guy (he used to play offensive lineman in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks). He now has to use two crutches to even get around. He was at the baptism, right on time, it his suit and tie. I am humbled to realize that it must have taken him at least an hour to get ready for baptism. He told me that he woke up not feeling well, but he read his patriarchal blessing, and thought back on his own baptism 2 years ago, and somehow felt a renewed sense of energy and was able to make it to the baptism. He stood in as a witness and also stood in the circle to help me confirm Emma, along with my Dad, and many great friends of mine. Stacy was SO good to work so hard with many of the preparations and organizing the baptism. Emma and I are so thankful for her and her efforts.
Here in Ohio there is a ton of iron in the water, so it was really no surprise that when we opened the font, the water was a nice brown color. It was warm though, and that is all that mattered to me. Emma did a great job. Jenice was an amazing help to us behind the scenes. Emma was baptized in the same dress that Stacy was baptized in. Jenice made a few modifications on it with her sewing machine, and we were in good shape, she also hemmed the pants I wore to baptize Emma (she also stayed up late and mended my snow shoveling coat). She is always doing something for us and we are always extremely thankful for her and her willingness to help us. My Mom is also always an amazing help to us. She purchased my pants and a new pair of scriptures for Emma and brought them with her.
We had a great time after the baptism. We had lunch at the house and then headed off to a movie (the perfect place to go when it is snowing). We went to the cheap theater and saw “Old Dogs”. It was hilarious. We also went to Red Robin for dinner and really enjoyed that.
Emma wasn’t herself Sunday morning and we later found out that she had an allergic reaction to her new allergy medication. She also still has an ear infection that has hung on for a couple of weeks, so that was really a bummer on Sunday. I really enjoyed introducing my parents to all of our wonderful friends in our ward who mean SO much to us.
Stacy’s parents had to leave on Monday morning and we were sad to see them leave, but we are SO thankful for the sacrifices they made to come. Watching our children interacting with both sets of Grandparents is always such an amazing experience for Stacy and I.
Monday we went down to Amish Country with my parents and we had such a wonderful time. It is always like taking a few steps back in time and it is always very refreshing. I made a list of projects around the house for my Dad and I to do together and we had a great time getting them all done. It is amazing to me to see my Dad’s expertise and “life experience” make short work of projects that would take me much longer to do/figure out myself. My Mom was so good to play with the kids, go eat lunch with Emma at school, and she even made me a pan of her world famous cinnamon rolls. My parent’s sacrifices on our behalf are numerous and I just marvel at the love they have for us. I always cry when they drop us off at the airport, or in this case when I dropped them off at the airport. I look forward to the day when we will live closer to them or have the means to see them more frequently.
Life for us definitely has its ups and downs. These last few days belong in the “up” column for sure.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Emma's Baptism and Other Fun Stuff
Posted by M & S Eagar at 9:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awesome Blog Matt! It was good to here about all the fun events! I felt the spirit strong when you were talking about your ward. We feel the same way up here in Utah. You don't really know what a ward family is until you don't have any family in the state.
We were so glad to get to be there on her special day, her dress is so cute and I love that picture of all 3 of the kiddo's hugging. Matt, your mom looks and talks just like Josh's mom, even Natilie noticed it (except your mom is tall) both Stacy's and your parents are so nice, we were glad to meet them. It was a beautiful baptism!
Hi Matt and Stacy,
Your mom told me they were going. I'm so glad Emma had her grandparents there. We will miss Parker's baptism while we're gone. I was touched, too, by your ward's kindness. We visited a ward two weeks ago. It had snowed in the night and things nearly shut down here. No snow removal equipment. One of the sweet sisters in the ward had been out clearing the sidewalks so the members could get in.
Love you guys.
Post a Comment