Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Harvest is upon us

Fall is here. Don't you love it?! (except for the long cold winter that follows) We've started a Sunday evening tradition of hiking a trail in a park close to our house. It's fun to watch the leaf progression and the kids enjoy the park at the end of the trail. This week I've been enjoying the beautiful scenery of Fall. Every morning when I open the curtains in the bedroom I enjoy a "magical" moment of watching golden yellow leaves swirl to the ground. My new view definitely beats my old view of an apartment parking lot!

Brady is slowly but surely learning to pump...at the park at the end of the trail.

I chaperoned Emma's 1st grade field trip to Ramseyer Farms this week. It's a "working" (I got a good laugh out of their description since I grew up in farming country) potato, pumpkin, and popcorn farm. They did an amazing job with the kids. We all feasted on homemade (right before our eyes) potato chips. Can I get a yum - o?! We also enjoyed a hayride out to the potato fields where we dug up potatoes and also to the pumpkin patch where we picked any pumpkin (of the smaller variety) we wanted. Emma and her cute friend Mackenzie (above) carefully wandered across the whole field surveying all of their options before selecting the perfect pumpkin. No Harvest outing would be complete without some sort of a maze these days and the kids enjoyed a potato box maze as well as a plethora of animal and Harvest games. I love the parental involvement at Emma's school. There are 22 kids in her class and they had 15 chaperones. Most of the parents drove, but Mackenzie's mom Kelly and I braved the big yellow bus. I enjoyed getting to know her. After school Mackenzie came to our house for a playdate and ended up sleeping over. She's a sweetheart and I'm glad Emma has become such good friends with such a sweet girl. Our whole family loves her southern drawl - she moved her from North Carolina.


The kids all had fun making...and eating...this cute Fall craft for their teachers. Hopefully there will be some candycorn left in the vases tomorrow when they give them away. Ellie has really taken to candycorn and keeps sneaking it. Having a toddler in your house sure keeps you on your toes! :D

5 comments:

Rachel said...

How fun. I want a hiking trail with a park at the end of it by my house! I also would like it to be cool enough to hike...but we'll have to wait another month on that :)

And...I had forgotten all about our trip and yes, we do need to plan it. I need a girls vacation.

*TAMI* said...

It's so fun to have a beautiful place to hike! Sounds like the Farm was a fun field trip! It's sad to see the schools having to cut more and more of the extracurricular! The vases for the teachers are nice-I love candy corn!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I miss the fall season! It is still in the 90's here in Tucson, and yup, still brown! I love your cute fall decor, you always have cute stuff!

Ess said...

Fall just means that this year is almost over and I cannot believe it, but I do love to watch the leaves change color. Glad to see you are all well and enjoying the change in seasons.

Rachel said...

You've been tagged...see my blog.